Friday, March 17, 2006

The joy of book learnin'

I am re-reading one of my favourite books from childhood. No, it's one of my favourite books EVER*. It's called Danny, The Champion of the World by Roald Dahl.
Roald Dahl books were a cornerstone of my childhood. In primary school, various teachers read aloud in class and I can still remember the wonder of having Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Danny, The Champion of the World read aloud to me.
I bought it partly because I wanted to relive that magic, partly because Rob has had a sudden hankering to read lots of Roald Dahl, particularly books like The BFG and The Witches, which passed him by during childhood. And of course, I want my boy to read and love Danny. If for no other reason, every father should read it because it perfectly captures pure, unabashed father-son love.
There are so many books that I can't wait to read to Ari. I can picture him tucked up in bed in his jarmies, with Rob or I perched on his bed, reading him a chapter from a book every night. It's going to be fun.









*Favourite books ever list also includes The Bell Jar, On The Road, High Fidelity, A Walk in the Woods, Cloudstreet and Fantastic Mr Fox.

1 Comments:

Blogger RachelleCentral said...

I'm thinking you might have to wait until Ari is, oh, five before you start reading him The Bell Jar.

But I do know what you mean about book sharing. I have long since been a collector of children's books, and David has Harry the Dirty Dog in our collection for when Julian is old enough to appreciate its subtleties!

11:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home