Thursday, June 12, 2008

Just the one?

It's a difficult question. To have Just The One, or possibly Number Two?
It's something that's been playing on my mind lately, as we are suddenly surrounded by new babies and more babies on the way.
That, and the fact that every old Italian or Greek lady I meet with Ari asks if he's an only child and when I answer in the affirmative, they ALWAYS tell me I need to have another one.
I always knew that if I did have another child, it would not be until Ari was three, four or possibly even five or six. The idea of having two babies sounded as appealing to me as a hot poker in the eye.
Many people have children in quick succession to "get it out of the way". In many ways, it's a good, logical way to go. Your time out of the workforce (if that's what you like doing) is minimal and - let's face it - you are "out of commission" in so many ways, why not make the most of it?
Not for me, I'm afraid.
Though the idea of starting from scratch again scares me, having two babies terrifies me more!
So, like Miranda in SATC, I have been making a list of pros and cons on the subject:
Pros
  • Ari would have a brother or sister.
  • We would have another child.
  • The second time around we would actually have some idea what we were doing and be more confident and realistic about the whole thing.
  • We would likely be a lot more relaxed and enjoy it more.
Cons
  • Ari was a dream sleeper (still is, touch wood) - I don't know if I'd cope with a bad sleeper.
  • Taking time off work (I like it and the $$$ is obviously handy).
  • Balance - I think after three years, I finally have balance in my life again.
  • Having a baby is bloody hard work, no getting around that fact.
  • I'm not sure I want to be a baby's primary carer again for a whole year - I felt very isolated at home last time.
In the end, I don't think logic will actually come into it. I imagine whatever decision we make will be based wholely and solely on our emotions. Do we WANT to do this? It's how we decided to have a baby in the first place - we just said one day "let's do it", and we did. It's generally how we live our lives. And I wouldn't have it any other way. No point living life according to boring logic, I say.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was one of the people who just jumped into the deep end without thinking it through...time running out, etc. All the pros you wrote are spot-on, and yet having two babies, as I did, is pretty damn challenging! I don't know if it's ever going to get easier. The biggest reward is when Julian hugs Zoe and I think of all the siblings I know who have gone through thick and thin together...I hope my two are like that.

3:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home