Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Baby clothes

Is it just me or are cool baby clothes terribly hard to find?
I must be fussier than most because when I was pregnant, I found it almost impossible to find nice maternity wear (and wrote an article for the Herald Sun saying so, much to the displeasure of certain maternity retailers in Melbourne).
If you think I'm over-reacting, I suggest you do the following: Go into Myer's baby department and take a short stroll around the racks and racks of clothes.
If you can find more than 3 things you would put on your own child, I'll be very shocked (and no, the Bonds section doesn't count).
Which brings me to the only reason my Ari isn't wearing some sort of hessian bag - Bonds!
Ari wears Bonds singlets, Bonds jumpsuits, Bonds thermals, Bonds socks and Bonds jackets - not because we have any great loyalty to Pat Rafter, but because it's the only brand churning out affordable, cool baby clothing - not a pink frill or teddy bear in sight.
The only other brand Ari seems to wear with any regularity is his Nanny Eileen's fantastic knitted cardigans and the odd op shop gem (thanks Aunty Louise).
Every day it seems I read an article in a newspaper or magazine about a fashion designer who decided to start up their own children's wear range. It's no wonder, really.
While I don't profess to be any bastion of cool when it comes to clothes, I at least try to look somewhat funky, so why wouldn't I want the same for my son?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home