Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Boring! Boring! Boring!

Parenthood is lots of things. Rewarding (though I'm still waiting for that), difficult (absolutely), joyous (in lots of ways).
But I find being a stay-at-home parent is more often than not one overwhelming thing....BORING.*
Not that there's any shortage of things to do at home with a baby. It's just that most of them are really, really dull.
Like the excitement that is coming up with new meals for Ari that mostly get thrown back at you. Scintillating.
Or the dishes. Mmmm, fascinating.
How about the washing? Well, choosing which cycle to use on the machine IS challenging, I guess...
I know what you're thinking. How about catching up with friends for coffee/lunch? Nope. They pretty much all work. Hobbies? No time, unless you count snatches of Sex and the City over a wolfed-down sandwich at lunchtime a hobby...
Going for nice walks? Yes, well that might seem like Luna Park to some people, but not to me. Especially not in the fascinating suburb that is Thornbury, with its wonderful shopping, which ranges from the finest guns the northern suburbs has to offer to the most exquisite martial arts uniforms this side of the black stump.
So what's left?
Apart from trying to keep a 10-month-old from pulling heavy objects on himself all day, there's:
1. Having a shower
2. Listening to the rumour file on 3AW (what am I going to do without you over summer, Ross and John?)
3. Blogging.
4. Having 10 minutes with Rob in the morning while Ari throws porridge at me.
5. That's it.

*This does not mean I think all stay at home parents are boring people. It means I find the job boring for much of the time. We're all different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home