Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The gamut of emotions

Why do we have children?
In my darkest hours of struggling with the shock of motherhood, I've sometimes wondered it myself.
There are lots of reasons, of course, and everyone is different.
For me, having a child is possibly the only life experience that can throw every kind of emotion at you - turned up to 10.

Joy - Kicking the winning goal on the siren in the Grand Final against Collingwood might be utterly orgasmic. But the first minutes after your child is born would have to top it, I'd reckon. It sounds glib to say it, but Ari's birth WAS the happiest moment of my entire life and I don't think anything could top it.
Shock - I will NEVER forget the midwife throwing on the lights in my hospital room at 2am to wake me up for Ari's first night time feed. Bleary-eyed, I was shocked beyond words. This was it...I was a mother.
Love - Ari's smile. His little hands hugging my neck. The way he looks at me that I know is only for me. It's amazing.
Sorrow - A World Vision ad suddenly makes you feel ill. Reading about a child's death makes you sob over your paper. Articles about people bashing little children make you so angry. The world is a different place and it suddenly can hurt you deeply.
Frustration - Ever tried to change a pooey nappy when the baby is thrashing around on his change table, speading poo everywhere (including all over himself)? Some days you just want to pull your hair out. Ever tried to get a toddler dressed and out of the house in a hurry? Good luck!
Pride - Ari smiles and waves at an old lady in the street. She stops and coos over his cute little face. She's grinning from ear to ear and so are you. Children are so pure of heart and I am so very proud Ari is such a loving little boy.
Anxiety - Am I doing this right? What is that rash on his face? Why won't he eat his dinner? Is he warm enough in his bed? This list never ends...
Loneliness - You used to work in an office with hundreds of people Monday to Friday, 9-5. Now it's just you and a little person who can't talk back for the first 2 years, in a house 7 days a week. It only hit me recently that I'd spent 16 months almost entirely on my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home