Monday, April 02, 2007

Off with the Pixies

The past week of our lives has been dominated by one thing: the Pixies.
After waiting all of my adult life to see them live, I have seen them twice, with one more time to come on Wednesday night at V Festival.
In our Festival of Pixies we have been listening to their albums, discussing their lyrics, watching them on You Tube, trying to stalk them at our local pub (failed dismally) and relishing the utter joy of seeing them perform live.
I won't bore you with the details, other to say that seeing Pixies at the Northcote Social Club last Tuesday was without a doubt the best gig I have ever seen (the reigning champ was Radiohead at Festival Hall, 1998).
It wasn't just the thrill of seeing your favourite band perform for the first time, it was a secret gig, it was at OUR LOCAL, they sounded amazing, Jarvis Cocker was there. It was huge. Did I get a little teary when they played Where Is My Mind? My oath I did. At one point they opened the curtain in the bandroom and all you could see was people's faces pressed up against the glass watching from the bar. I'm told it was deathly quiet in there because everyone wanted to listen to the band. There was also a crowd outside listening. It was incredible.
After the gig we had to rush home to relieve our babysitters, but my sister and her friends decided to stay on for a beer and debrief in the bar. They all bought their beers and just sat around shocked. That's what it was like for at least a day after that gig. None of us could quite believe we were there.
Then came Wednesday night at the Palace, St Kilda. Despite an almost identical set-list, it was a completely different vibe - a massive singalong celebration. The band sounded amazing once again. I could go on for hours, but I won't. More after V on Wednesday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home