Saturday, January 21, 2006

Work and baby

It's an endless debate, isn't it?
I read yet another ludicrous opinion piece in the Herald Sun this week about how selfish career-driven women should be home with bub. Strangely, the article also mentioned the plight of several women who had stayed home with their kids, only to be dumped by their husbands years down the track and left virtually penniless and out of the job market.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there HAS to be some compromise here.
I'm not saying women can Have It All. Even working fathers can't.
The problem is not with women, it's with the world's attitude to working mums. Most people can't seem to handle women who want to do both. Honestly.
When I'm at work, all anyone seems to want to ask me is if I'm missing Ari, and do I wish I was at home?
Hell no! I LOVE working for a newspaper. It's exciting. Staying at home with a baby ALL THE TIME gets boring.
But you should see people's faces when I say that! I might as well walk around the words "Heartless Bitch Mother" on my forehead.
Having now done staying at home full time and working full time, I can honestly say staying at home with a baby is harder, more stressful work.
Stay at home parents are bloody troopers. And if you don't believe me, you obviously haven't done it yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home