Monday, July 04, 2005

Live8

Ari witnessed music history on the weekend. He danced around the lounge room with me to Robbie Williams singing Let Me Entertain You at Live8.
And as great as it was to see a reunited Pink Floyd sing Wish You Were Here, Stevie Wonder funk it up, Madonna strut her stuff in that gorgeous white suit and Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple wearing her cute headphones, the highlights were few and far between.
It was no Live Aid, which lives on as an iconic event in my mind - Queen's Freddie Mercury in front of a mammoth Wembley crowd, Bono with his great mullet.
Live8 had too much Paul McCartney, not enough U2. Too much Craig David, not enough George Michael. Then again, I only saw snippets on Fox8 and what little decent acts Ch9 would show us.
But it is all for a great cause and I love the fact that Bob Geldof still gets off his backside and does something about world poverty. He's a man of passion, and thank goodness for people like him.
One big difference this time around was the images of starving and homeless children on screen - they affected me in a way I didn't expect. I still well up when I think of the image of a little girl in India rolling out a mat to sleep on the street. Or a child sleeping in a gutter in Africa while cars drive by.
And to think I actually toss up whether to give Ari breastmilk or solid food first when it's time for his dinner...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home