Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Magic moments

I've had lots of Magic Concert Moments in my life.
Like the time I saw Radiohead in 42 degree heat at Festival Hall in 1998 and wondered if I'd ever see anything that good again. I never have.
Or the time I saw Cold Chisel and sang Flame Trees with VB in hand and screamed the "1,2,3,4" bit in Merry Go Round really really loud.
Then there was John Cale singing Hallelujah at the Melbourne Concert Hall - just him and a piano.
I could go on...
It's only 6 months into 2005 and I've already had 2 such moments.
Recently I saw Nick Cave at Festival Hall and there were a few magic moments - Cave belting out the Mercy Seat with 2 drummers going nuts behind him, his gospel choir in full voice singing "there is a war coming!" on Hiding All Away and just the man and his piano singing God Is In The House. God, it was a good concert.
On Monday night, Rob and I went to see the Finn brothers and Mercury Rev at Hamer Hall. There were so many highlights (Mercury Rev singing Holes, the brothers singing I Got You with the whole crowd on its feet), but there was one truly special moment.
Neil mused on the recent suicide of former bandmate Paul Hester before launching into Four Seasons In One Day, unaided by microphones or backing band. He invited the crowd to join in and everyone sang softly, as if at a funeral.
It was a solemn, sad moment and you could see the pain on Finn's face. He was close to tears and I'm sure many in the crowd were as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home