Thursday, September 01, 2005

Weaning: Day 2

So far the weaning is going well. Remarkably well, in fact.
Ari took 4 bottles yesterday without a wimper, a cry or even a protest.
I guess with all that bottle/breastfeeding going on, the poor little dude just wanted the bottle after all.
And he slept through last night until 5.30am, when we put his dummy in, and he went right back to sleep until 7am. Hooray!
Now I'm trying to come to terms with the intricacies of bottle feeding - I suddenly have to institute a regime of bottle washing, sterilising and kettle boiling. It's a bit more work than breastfeeding, of course, but it's quite a small sacrifice to make given the impact it will have on our lives.
Lots of things will change - some small, some big.
The biggest one is that Rob (or anyone) will be able to look after Ari for a whole day (and night!) if I/we want some time off. I won't have to rush back to him every 4 hours.
It means I can drink alcohol without worry for the first time in 16 months. Yes, I've drunk the odd beer or wine in that time, but can now have three or four glasses instead of one or two.
It means I can wear an underwire bra again. Women reading this will understand how significant this is. I can wear pretty bras again, instead of dowdy maternity ones.
It means I can feed Ari in full public view instead of ducking off to the car or a "parents room". Unfortunately Ari never took to feeding in public that well. While other mums were discreetly feeding their babies without a hint of breast showing, I struggled with a squirmy boy who always wanted to see what was going on around him, subsequently flashing my boobs to half of Melbourne. It wasn't fun.
It means I can go back to work (I was terrified Ari wouldn't take a bottle by the time my maternity leave was up).
It means no more boob biting (thank goodness).
But, of course, while there are huge plusses, there are a few drawbacks too. Breastfeeding was comfort on tap. It was lovely knowing at any time I could calm Ari down with a breastfeed.
Breastmilk is portable, free and the best thing for a baby, without a doubt. It's also just the right temperature.
And today as I packed away my breastfeeding pillow I had a hint of sadness. Breastfeeding is a lovely feeling. Ari and I won't ever sit snuggled up together watching the sun come up while he feeds. I won't feel his little hand touch my face contentedly as he drinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home