Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Life, The World and Everything

A fabulous present from Ari's "Choose Your Own Deity"-father, Dean, has prompted some thought on religion and how to answer our boy's questions about religion and spirituality.
As a Recovering Catholic, I'm more than a little bit sceptical of religion, in all its forms, whether it be Scientology, Christianity or Buddhism.
But, if you want to be a devout whatever, that's fine with me. Just don't push it on me, or carry on like it's Fact. It ain't. It's what you believe.
Having said that, I've been searching for a good way of answering the inevitable "What is God?" and "Does God exist" questions from Ari.
The other day I heard the perfect answer... for me, anyway.
It came from science guru Dr Karl Kruzelnicki on his regular Triple J phone-in segment, where he answers all sorts of crazy questions.
A girl threw the "do you believe in God" question at him and his response was fascinating.
Basically, he said that he believed the Universe might have been created by some sort of spiritual being, but he could not possibly believe there is a caring God watching over us all. Why? Because millions of children die every year from things like starvation. Any caring God could not let that happen. Simple as that.
So that's the answer I'm giving Ari.
Thanks Dr Karl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home